Indulge in the Sweetest Treats: Discovering the Top Dessert Places in Illinois
Illinois is known for its deep-dish pizza, hot dogs, and Italian beef sandwiches, but the state also has a sweet side. From classic American desserts to international delicacies, Illinois has a wide range of dessert places that cater to every sweet tooth. In this article, we will explore the top dessert places in Illinois and recommend some of the best desserts that you can indulge in.
Dessert Hotspots in Illinois
Chicago is undoubtedly the dessert capital of Illinois, with a plethora of dessert hotspots that offer a diverse range of sweet treats. However, other cities in Illinois also have their fair share of dessert places that are worth exploring.
1. Chicago: The Windy City is home to some of the best dessert places in Illinois. From classic American desserts to international delicacies, Chicago has it all. Some of the top dessert places in Chicago include:
- Portillo’s: This iconic Chicago chain is known for its chocolate cake shake, a decadent blend of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream.
- Molly’s Cupcakes: This cupcake bakery is famous for its creative flavors, including the Ron Bennington, a chocolate cake filled with caramel and topped with sea salt.
- BomboBar: This Italian-inspired dessert bar is known for its gelato-filled doughnuts, which are made fresh daily.
2. Springfield: The capital city of Illinois may not be as well-known for its desserts as Chicago, but it has some hidden gems that are worth exploring.
- Incredibly Delicious: This bakery is known for its French pastries, including croissants, macarons, and tarts.
- Saputo’s: This Italian restaurant is famous for its homemade cannoli, which are filled with sweet ricotta cheese and dusted with powdered sugar.
3. Champaign-Urbana: This college town may not be as big as Chicago or Springfield, but it has a thriving food scene that includes some excellent dessert places.
- Pie Boss: This bakery is known for its homemade pies, including classic flavors like apple and cherry, as well as more unique options like chocolate bourbon pecan.
- Cream & Flutter: This bakery specializes in French macarons, which come in a variety of flavors, including lavender, raspberry, and salted caramel.
Best Desserts in Illinois
Now that we’ve explored some of the top dessert places in Illinois, let’s take a closer look at some of the best desserts that you can indulge in.
1. Chocolate Cake Shake from Portillo’s: This iconic dessert is a must-try for anyone visiting Chicago. The shake is made with a slice of chocolate cake blended with vanilla ice cream, topped with whipped cream and a cherry.
2. Gelato-Filled Doughnuts from BomboBar: This unique dessert combines two of Italy’s most beloved treats: gelato and doughnuts. The doughnuts are made fresh daily and filled with a variety of gelato flavors, including pistachio, Nutella, and strawberry.
3. French Macarons from Cream & Flutter: These delicate cookies are a French classic and are made with almond flour, egg whites, and sugar. Cream & Flutter offers a variety of flavors, including lavender, raspberry, and salted caramel.
4. Cannoli from Saputo’s: These Italian pastries are a staple at Saputo’s and are filled with sweet ricotta cheese and dusted with powdered sugar. They are the perfect sweet treat to end a meal.
5. Pies from Pie Boss: This bakery offers a variety of homemade pies, including classic flavors like apple and cherry, as well as more unique options like chocolate bourbon pecan. The pies are made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients and are perfect for sharing with friends and family.
Local Desserts in Illinois
While the dessert places mentioned above are certainly worth a visit, Illinois also has many local desserts that are unique to the state. Here are a few local desserts that you should try:
1. Horseshoe Sandwich: This Springfield classic is not technically a dessert, but it is a must-try for anyone visiting the city. The sandwich consists of an open-faced burger patty topped with French fries and cheese sauce.
2. Butter Cookies: These simple, buttery cookies are a staple in many Illinois households and are often served during the holidays.
3. Popcorn Balls: These sweet treats are made with popcorn, sugar, and corn syrup and are a popular snack in Illinois.
If you’re looking for some dessert recommendations in Illinois, here are a few to get you started:
1. If you’re in Chicago, be sure to try the chocolate cake shake from Portillo’s and the gelato-filled doughnuts from BomboBar.
2. If you’re in Springfield, don’t miss the cannoli from Saputo’s and the French pastries from Incredibly Delicious.
3. If you’re in Champaign-Urbana, be sure to try the pies from Pie Boss and the French macarons from Cream & Flutter.
Illinois may be known for its savory dishes, but the state also has a sweet side. From classic American desserts to international delicacies, Illinois has a wide range of dessert places that cater to every sweet tooth. Whether you’re in Chicago, Springfield, or Champaign-Urbana, there are plenty of dessert hotspots to explore. So go ahead and indulge in some sweet treats – you won’t regret it!